Thursday, April 30, 2020

Rot-Eaters


Plague Toads are daemons from Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Apparently they are pretty much neglected in the official rules, but they did get representation in miniature courtesy of Forge World.

The models are cast in resin and require some minor assembly (the front feet and some of the horns come as separate pieces).


I bought these toads a few years ago with the intention of painting them in the garish colors that I saw on the web (which is what attracted me to them in the first place).

However, after priming and applying the base coats, the colors didn't really appeal to me anymore.

Recently I decided to get them finished, so I redid the base coats in earthy colors, although I left the purple paint that I originally used to color the insides of their mouths.

I think that Plague Toad A turned out the best.


Plague Toads B and C are okay, but maybe the colors are too dark or overly uniform.


From the pictures I saw on the web, a lot of people had fun with painting the pustules and whatnot on these models, but I don't think I could bear looking at them on the tabletop for any period of time if I had done that.



2 comments:

NextLevelBelly said...

wow, those toads look creepy :D

At the moment Elhiem offers the chance to define a medium size monster, which they will model and release! Maybe you have a nice wish as an 1/72 monster expert? ;)

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1604228-VoteFund-future-ranges.html

Also Elhiem has lot's of new fantasy stuff in the crowdfunding right now (also in the link above). I'm very excited on the elves and dwarves!

EY said...

Hi NLB,
I voted for the Undead and Monsters. I would be interested in the others, but Matt doesn't give much indication of what they'll look like. Some concept sketches would have been helpful.