Sunday, May 10, 2020

You know the score pal. You're not cop, you're little people.


After Alien Bear told me about the Gaslands miniatures produced by North Star Military Figures last month, I had to buy a set to check the figures out in real life.

The set I picked up was the Highway Patrol (NSPIoC12), though I would have gotten the Wasteland Warriors (i.e., War Boys) if they were available.

In any event, four of the figures in the set are the eponymous Highway Patrol.


They are in the mould of the old Citadel Dark Future Cops, and I don't really have plans for them, but maybe they can be used for something pulpish like members of the Blackhawk Squadron.


The pièce de résistance of this set however, was the Blade Runner figure.


All the figures are 1/72 scale, so I didn't need to bring them up to height.

I had a little trouble trying to figure out what color to paint Deckard's trenchcoat, since it looks different depending upon the lighting during the scene.


I went for a lighter brown color, but it looks much darker in the picture.


Since we're on the subject of Blade Runner, we need to talk about Spinners. Someone really needs to produce a Police Spinner in 1/72 scale.


The closest models available are from an obscure set of 1/64 diecast models made by ERTL almost 40 years ago.


I didn't even know these were around until a few years ago, but from what I understand, they went to the bargain bin because the movie was a box office flop.

If you look for the models on eBay nowadays, they run anywhere from US$50 to US$100 individually, and a boxed set of four runs over US$500!

I bought two mishandled ERTL Spinners because condition was not as important to me as price.


The first model is Deckard's Chase Spinner (#1872).


A bar was added between the two wheel pods to accommodate the axle, but obviously this does not exist on the actual Spinner.


The second model is Rachael's Spinner (#1874), more properly known as the Alfa Romeo Spinner.


This vehicle is briefly seen passing Gaff and Deckard as they approach the Tyrell Building.


Tomy re-released the model as the Galactic Cruiser at one point, after they picked up the assets of RC2 (which included ERTL and Johnny Lightning).


Syd Mead is said to have based the design on the Alfa Romeo Navajo, and the dimensions of the diecast model match up pretty well with those of the actual Navajo in 1/64 scale.

I was really hoping the models could pass for 1/72 scale, and they actually don't look that bad next to 1/72 figures.


However, if you place them next to actual 1/72 scale cars, they start to look overscale.


The two other models in the set (which I don't own) are Deckard's Ground Car (#1871), and Bryant's Police Spinner (#1873). The Police Spinner uses the same body as the Chase Spinner, but it has a light bar and different tampos.

Maybe I can do something with these models one day, but I think (for me) it will be more difficult than the restoration of an actual Spinner. In all probability, someone will come up with a 3D model in 1/72 before I'm even able to start.


NECA also makes a Spinner from Blade Runner 2049 in their Cinemachines line, which is still readily available.


From what I can tell, it doesn't look like they put much effort into the design, so if I do buy one, it will only be if there is a significant drop in the price of the model.

On a side note, if anyone is interested, you can read about my visit to some of the Blade Runner film locations in November of last year at my other blog.


6 comments:

Hugh Walter said...

EY - I'm sure someone had a 1:76/75th (?) spinner on one of the early space modelling sites, years ago, in resin, possibly the same people who did the Tron speeder-bikes?

H

EY said...

Hi Hugh,
I'll have to see if I can find any info on that kit. The only other small scale Spinner I've ever seen was a key chain fob, but it was probably the size of a Galoob MicroMachine.

Unknown said...

Just found your blog I'll enjoy reading it as I do alot of fun stuff in 1/72 too!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122908.0

EY said...

Hi Darathar,
Thanks for the link. Lots of interesting stuff there!

Unknown said...

Thanks mate. I'm loving this blog so far 😍.

Unknown said...

I've seen that official spinner in the flesh it's not very good at all otherwise I'd have bought it. Looks very cheap for a big asking price.