Friday, April 30, 2021

4D DUKW & Sd.Kfz. 7/2 with 3.7cm Flak 37

I just received two of the latest offerings from 4D Models. The first model is a GMC DUKW 353 ("鸭子" 两栖作战车; "Duck" amphibious combat vehicle).


There are two different versions of the DUKW model made in ABS plastic.

The No. 1 version is supplied with a canvas tilt.


The No. 2 version comes with a sprue of supports for a canvas tilt.


The upper and lower hulls come attached to each other, but prying them apart will make the assembly process easier. The models go together very quickly, and look as good as diecast DUKWs.

Altaya vs 4D

The Altaya model uses the same mold as the Russian Tank Collection model.



Amercom vs 4D


The rudder is attached through a clipping mechanism that allows it to rotate.


The rope boat fenders are not textured in any way, but the models are still very nice, and ready for a load of cargo.


Comparison of the 4D DUKW with Altaya, Russian Tank Collection, and Amercom DUKWs.



I will probably try to get a few more of these to make versions with the machine gun mount, 105mm howitzer, etc.

The second model is a 3.7cm Flak 37 Sd.Kfz. 7/2 (八吨半履带防空裝甲车; 8-ton half-tracked armored anti-aircraft vehicle). I ended up with a model in tan plastic, but there is also one molded in gray plastic.


The undercarriage and front wheels are made of ABS plastic, but I think the rest of the sprues are polystyrene.



The seller included a handwritten note indicating that the parts on the sprue were fragile, but I didn't find that to be the case. Some of the parts on the A sprue are definitely small, but they are thick and robust.


I believe that polystyrene is weaker than ABS, so there is more of a possibility of breakage if force is applied when attaching the parts, but my recommendation is that if a part does not fit, file down the attachment pin until it fits, then glue it in place.

Assembly is not particularly complicated, but there is definitely an order that needs to be followed to make things easy.

Assembly of the undercarriage and wheels is essentially the same as for their earlier Sd.Kfz. 7.

The interior of the cab should be assembled first. The instructions are a bit messed up because it shows part C5 being installed upside down.


The armored cabin should be added next, hiding all of the interior detail that was just assembled.


The bonnet should be attached last, but the fit is not too good, and a significant gap is left between the cabin and the bonnet.


Parts of the Flak 37 are painted gray, but will need touch-up after being cut from the sprue. The parts also have a lot of awful ejector pin marks, but I didn't bother removing most of them because of the toy-like nature of this model.

Attach the Flak 37 to the base only after the upper and lower hulls are put together. The gun doesn't fit very tightly, but I don't think it's a major issue.


The side panels of the bed are molded in an upright position, so the Flak 37 is not really able to pivot, but the barrel can be raised and lowered.

The model is very similar to the previous 4D Sd.Kfz. 7, but it has separate lights and bumper guides, which (despite their chunky appearance) improve the look of the model.







Two other new 4D models that I didn't get are the 9A52-2 Smerch-M and the Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. C Wurfrahmen 40.


Pictures of the sprues for the Smerch-M can be found at moxing.net and bilibili, but I didn't really find anything on the Wurfrahmen 40.


7 comments:

Fire at Will said...

I was quite pleased with my sdkfz 7/2 until I compared them with an old resin cast and realised how oversized they were just like the sdkfz 7 (which I used as a sdkfz 8). I'm still very tempted by the sdkfz 251/1 with wurfrahmen, not seen them for sale anywhere yet, where did you see them.

EY said...

Hi Will,
I've seen the wurfrahmen on eBay, Taobao, and AliExpress. The ones found on eBay are priced too high IMO, and I haven't actually purchased anything from AliExpress even though I've had an account for a couple of years now (the prices are right, but I haven't been motivated enough to look into what kind of feedback system they use to figure out who is a reliable seller).

Fire at Will said...

Thanks, I found it on Aliexpress not ebay. Again it seems large as it quotes 105mm long by 40mm high, I'll wait to see what others make of it first,

cheers
Will

Unknown said...

Found this tread after I made my own 4D DUKW. Just wanted to show what they can look like painted and weathered. I'm not great at details etc. but it looks much better than the shiny plastic. I also made the new Jeep.
https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=51453&p=albums&album=74069

EY said...

Hi Daniel,
Your models look great painted up. I'll probably hit my models with some dullcote to make them look a bit better.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see what they look like! :)

Anonymous said...

the Stuka zu Fuss is not at the correct 1/72 scale, it is too big.