Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Calibre Wings VF-1S Valkyrie

The VF-1 Valkyrie is the iconic variable fighter from the anime series Macross.


The mechanical design was inspired by the lines of the F-14 Tomcat, which appeared in the film The Final Countdown that was in theaters during the time Shoji Kawamori and Studio Nue began their concept art for the series.


There have been a number of diecast Valkyrie models created over the years, but I believe that the Calibre Wings version is the only one in 1/72 scale (KitzConcept produced an earlier model that is purportedly 1/72 scale, but I think it may be closer to 1/65 scale).

This particular model is a non-transformable display piece of the Valkyrie in fighter mode. I believe it is limited to 1500 pieces, with an additional 300 convention exclusive pieces depicting the battle damaged version from episode 18 of the series.


Despite being a fan of Calibre Wings, I made the decision to buy the model second hand because of the whole Harmony Gold/Tatsunoko/Studio Nue controversy that has effectively stifled the international release of any new Macross related media for over two decades (but that's just me being salty about HG).

Of course this also meant that my model was slightly damaged and missing some pieces, but I don't think there is anything that can't be fixed with a little effort.


The front landing gear hatch on the starboard side was missing, but I'm working on a solution.


Two of the sensors on the nose were broken off/lost, but I think I can fashion some new pieces using the fins from a 1/72 missile.

The Roy Focker figure is supposed to have a small metal base to allow him to stand upright, but that was missing as well (not that it's even really necessary).


A few comparison shots of the VF-1S with a 1/72 Forces Of Valor F-14A (80010), showing the difference in size between the two aircraft.





No comments: