Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mid-August Progress (Armor)

I've been able to sneak in a little modeling here and there this week, and have gotten a little further on a couple of projects.

The FSV I started earlier this month is almost done. I replaced the barrel with a piece of brass tube, and sliced up the end of the old plastic barrel to make some discs to simulate lights. I added the smoke dischargers because they look cool, even though most pictures of FSVs in the field show them without dischargers. I also added a pin to the driver's hatch to allow it to swing open and shut.

I have to say that individual link tracks are a royal pain. I can't even begin to count the number of times I had to go looking for little tiny links that fell on the ground somewhere while trying to assemble the tracks for this model. I replaced the incorrect headlight with one fashioned from a bit of sprue and a piece of wire. I managed to make a right mess of the photoetch left fender piece. In my own defense though, I'll have to admit that this is the first time I have worked with photoetch parts. I'm debating whether to add the second photoetch fender, since the right fender of the jagdpanzer in my photo reference seems not to have it. In fact, the fender looks like it is just a sheet metal replacement, so I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it. I'll probably just do the photoetch, since I'm not modeling the exact vehicle in the picture anyway. The machinegun shield is from the Fujimi kit, since the photoetch sprue for the flammpanzer does not come with a shield.

No comments: