Saturday, February 3, 2024

Gillespie Field

SoCal is expected to undergo heavy rain this weekend, but in the window between the two atmospheric rivers moving through our area, I took a trip down to Gillespie Field, where the Kit, Model & Aviation Collectible Swap Meet was being held at the San Diego Air & Space Museum Gillespie Field Annex.

El Cajon, CA





The show is held in an old hangar containing some aircraft, various airplane parts, model planes, and memorabilia.


Ryan X-13 Vertijet

Lined up outside on the grounds, mixed with parked cars, are a large number of aircraft on display.



Towering over the front parking lot is a Convair SM-65 Atlas ICBM, which is visible from down the street when you approach the annex.

SM-65 Atlas

Stinson SM-8 Junior and Rearwin 8125 Cloudster

Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk

North American F-86F Sabre

Convair F-102A Delta Dagger

Grumman A-6E Intruder

LTV A-7 Corsair II

Vought F-8J Crusader and AV-8A Harrier

AV-8A Harrier and F-16

General Dynamics F-16

Ryan PT-22 Recruit

Grumman F-14 Tomcat

MiG-21bis

Marsden [sic] steel planking
behind the MiG-21

Bell UH-1 Iroquois

Douglas A2D Skyshark

Lockheed S-3B Viking
modified for use by NASA

MiG-15bis

Spirit of San Diego "flying" Citroën 2CV
and ???

Lockheed P-2 Neptune

Piasecki H-21?

I'll end the post with a picture of my purchases at the show. I know I don't write much about aircraft kits, but I have been known to build them on occasion.


Oh, and if you're wondering about the Citroën, I don't think it really flies (based on what I see from a video I found about an actual flying Citroën).



No comments: