Monday, December 14, 2020

PSC Marder III

I originally bought the PSC Panzer 38(t) and Marder Variants kit so I could build some Slovakian Pz. 38(t)s. However, after looking at the parts, the SPGs kind of grew on me, and I ended up making one of each type of vehicle.


The box art shows a Pz. 38(t), a Marder III Ausf. H, and a 15cm sIG 33 Grille, but the versions that can be built are actually a Pz. 38(t), a Marder III Ausf. H, and a Marder III Sd.Kfz. 139.

Outside of drilling out the barrels and travel locks I only modified the chairs of the Sd.Kfz. 139. Everything else was assembled OOB.


As with all PSC kits, there are a ton of left over parts after construction. I actually put together two different turrets for the Sd.Kfz. 139 so I can swap between the two for versions with and without canvas cover.




The models are only half painted because I ran into some issues and decided to take a break. Normally I only use rattle cans for priming, but since these were quickbuild kits, I didn't want to go through the trouble of cleaning my airbrush, so I decided to try out some Coat d'arms rattle cans that I had sitting around.

Unfortunately the spray cans gave very inconsistent results (I guess that's why they were on clearance, and no longer sold by Black Hat). I ended up having to strip the Marder III H in Simple Green and repaint it.


For the the Sd.Kfz. 139 I cut the backrest off of one of the seats and mounted it on the stowage rack.


The Pz. 38(t) was the easiest to put together, and it matches the dimensions of the Attack Pz. 38(t) perfectly, though the position of the muffler, and appearance of the rear idler seem to be different.


The models are all very robust, and perfect for wargaming purposes. With the addition of various details, they could probably make decent static models as well.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that is another useful review. Please show sone detail shots as you proceed.