Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Shoe GOO WTF



I've been too busy with work and RealLife™ recently to play with my toys, but things are getting back under control, so I'm able to get back to more enjoyable things. But before that, I'll start with a bit of disappointing news.

Back in July I thought that I found the solution to bonding rubberband tracks, but I could not have been more wrong.

I'm not sure if it was the recent bout of hot, dry weather, or if the bond just weakened in general over time, but I was looking at my CaféReo tanks last week, and ALL of the tracks that I attached with Shoe GOO separated at the join!


Now I need to find a new way to glue these tracks. Some people have recommended E-6000 for bonding rubber, but it's made by the Shoe GOO people, and sounds pretty much like the same product. Anyone else have other suggestions?


絶望した!Shoe GOO に絶望した!


6 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

Use a super glue put a drop on one side of the track and then with a pin or whatever , add a bit of bicarbonate of Soda. This reacts with the glue hardening it at high Speed and creating a lot of heat which seals the rubber together. be carefull though, it creates a mess if you get Skin in contact with it and it´s best to test it on an old track first.

EY said...

Thanks for the recommendation Paul. I looked up the sodium bicarbonate thing, and noticed that cotton or yams could lead to an even more exothermic reaction.

I'll have to don the lab coat and goggles this weekend to perform some experiments.

Sean said...

Don't take my word for it, but somewhere in my subconscious I seem to remember that you could heat up a flat piece of metal (ie a butter knife) and melt the join together that way. I assume a soldering iron would work as well. Of course you need a deft touch and to not melt the rest of the model.

EY said...

Hi Sean,

You are right about needing a deft touch. The hot knife has always been my method of choice, but I've ended up messing up a fair share of tracks recently, so I've been looking for a new way of putting them together.

Maverick Collecting said...

If they are modern PVC (like Micromachines figures) I've found the best thing is plumbers sealant, it welds them instantly.

You can get it here (UK) in reasonably small tubes, it crusts quickly so pool a bit on a sheet of waste plastic or a bottle-top and then apply with a tooth-pick, rubs-off skin, easy!

Just hold them together for a count of say; 20, if they then don't pull apart, it's the right solvent!!

Hugh

EY said...

Hi Hugh,

I'm not sure what kind of material the tracks are, but an experiment couldn't hurt. I've always been a bit hesitant to use it in the past since it seemed so messy, but your suggesting about pooling it first sounds good.