Monday, October 12, 2020

Mushroom People


The Mushroom Parent and Mushroom Child are from the Dark Souls video game. The children are clumsy and harmless, while the parents are famous for their right hook.


I think my first lineup shows the only licensed figures of the Mushroom People. The pair on the left are from the line of super-deformed Dark Souls garage kits produced by MouseUnit, and the pair on the right are from the Darkroot Expansion of the Dark Souls Board Game.


The MouseUnit SD Mushroom People are sold at WonFes, and don't look particularly different from their non-SD appearance. I think they may be very close to being 1/72 scale.

The game pieces on the other hand are made to be compatible with 28mm figures, but can represent larger/older members of the mushroom tribe.

I magnetized the MouseUnit figures so that I could mount them individually on metal washers, or display them together on their original base.



While on the topic of mushroom people, I wanted to cover more figures from other manufacturers.

On the left are three Otherworld Lesser Myconids (DM33a), while on the right are a pair of Myconid Adults from Nolzur`s Marvelous Miniatures (WZK73405).


The Otherworld myconids are multipart figures that require some drilling and pinning for durability. The lettering on the tabs indicate which arms go with which bodies.


Also, in somewhat of a surprise, I found a package from the Warren of Vile Fungi Kickstarter on my doorstep this afternoon, so I'll show a few of the miniatures in this post, but the rest will have to wait for another day.

The first group of miniatures are the Myconids of the Circle (MAFMMN12). From left to right they are Grumble Cap, Mushgut, Phun & Ji, Fungbob, and Wormy.


The set came with slotta bases, but the figures do not come with corresponding tabs for the bases. I added metal pins in the legs to secure them to the washers that I use as bases, but most of the figures have very thin legs, making drilling more difficult.

Mushgut looks like a slimmer version of the Mushroom People from Dark Souls.


Grumble Cap, Fungbob, and Wormy are somewhat similar to Mushroom Children in size and build.


The second group of miniatures I wanted to show (along with Phun & Ji), are the Rhyzonid Children (MAFMMN09B).


I think these guys are the perfect size for 1/72 myconids, and I wish that the other small miniatures from Mortal Arrow were all closer to this size.

In fact, I think that it would be cool if someone made even smaller myconid figures just because...

無題 (untitled) by Silence Girl


3 comments:

Darathar said...

Nice write up I have the deepcuts ones ready to go for some MDRG mutated plants. I used one of the reaper ones on my 20mm sci-fi thread so I'll have to get some of your recommendations for some more mushroom men.

EY said...

Thanks for reading Darathar,

I'm going to do a post on the other Mortal Arrow miniatures from their Kickstarter later, and I think many of those minis would make great mutated monsters for MDRG.

Darathar said...

Oh nice had not heard of them be looking forward to seeing them.