Thursday, September 29, 2016

Giant Pandas


The giant panda of central China is a member of the family Ursidae, its closest relative being the spectacled bear of South America. It has the curious distinction of being part of the order Carnivora, but having an almost exclusively herbivorous diet.

The pandas of Sichuan province have the typical black and white coloration we are familiar with.


Pandas of the Qingling Mountains in Shaanxi province however, can have brown and white coloration.


I've been on the lookout for 1/72 pandas for a while now, so when I saw a panda figure in a package of Safari Ltd. "Good Luck Minis" today, I went ahead and bought the set.


The average length from snout to rump of an adult panda is about 5', but they can reach up to 6'. The figure is over an inch long, so it represents a very large panda.


If anyone is interested, here's a link to the Panda Cam at my local zoo (unfortunately, they don't give any indication of when the camera is turned on).


3 comments:

1Mac said...

Looks good! I've found that the Good Luck Minis often make great 1/72 animals.

EY said...

They do have some good stuff. I just wish that somebody sold loose figures for a decent price so that I wouldn't end up with a bunch of extraneous animals (or have to buy an army of 200 pandas).

1Mac said...

Try looking at gift shops for zoos or science museums or kids museums. They often have displays of loose figures, sometimes as low as 50 cents each.

I love the WWF graphic, by the way.