Friday, July 29, 2016

The Egg of Coot


I will have to admit that when I originally bought the Witch Coven of Garlghast & the Egregore set by Privateer Press (34035), it was really because of the witches... but since they weren't 1/72 scale, the set languished in my giant pile of unstarted miniatures for years.

Selene and Helleana

Recently, I decided to paint up the Egregore after seeing some nifty examples of basing for the model [1],[2]. While planning my build, I found out that Warmachine players nicknamed the Egregore, "the Egg". I did not make the connection immediately, but it dawned on me that "the Egg" would be a great representation for the Egg of Coot from Blackmoor [1],[2],[3],[4].

This all consuming personality lives off the egos of others to support his own ego. At one time (millennia ago) of humanoid characteristics, today, his exact physical description is unknown. In fact it is not even known for sure if he (it) has a physical appearance. Theories say that he is now a huge mass of jointly operating cells, a huge mass of Jelly, a giant thickly hided egg, pure energy, a man, a mass of living rock, etc. It is generally acknowledged that the physique of this creature is too horrible for any mortal to behold and that it carries out its activities through the use of surrogates which it controls or has programmed. All communications with this beast are through direct mental contact or via his throne-room which is dominated by a huge old world artifact said to be an ancient war machine, through which it communicates directly via voice transmission from some other area of its City-Palace.

The First Fantasy Campaign

For my own take on the Egg, I stretched and formed clear plastic rods over a flame to represent the ichor that is supposed to pour from the Egregore. The plastic was attached to a washer with clear epoxy, and then painted with Tamiya Smoke (X-19).


The painted Egregore was then epoxied to the plastic rods extending from the base, while some plastic representing dripping ichor was affixed to the side of the model.


I think that I might add a bit of patina to the bronze parts, but I'm still not completely decided on it. The base also needs some final touches, but I'm otherwise pretty much finished with this model.




No comments: