Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Those Meddling Kids


Scooby Doo is a cartoon that has been around for the last 50 years, with the latest installment just released earlier last month. 

Elhiem makes a set of 1970's Style Teen/twentys Pesky Kids and Great Dane (HIP04) based on the characters, but name them after their incarnations as the Mysteries Five (from left to right) Kelly, Geoff, Linda, W.W., and Too Much.


Too Much has an elongated muzzle as in the cartoon. The character designer Iwao Takamoto intentionally gave Scooby a look that was almost the antithesis of an actual Great Dane. The flanks were a bit flat with angular edges, so I smoothed the lines down a bit before painting. The only thing that was missing was his collar. I would have added one, but I already primed the figure before I noticed it was missing.

I chose a darker color palette for painting because I wanted to replicate the saturated look from an old CRT television. Most pictures on the web show a much brighter palette, but that didn't seem to fit for a show with elements of mystery and the supernatural.


I think I was pretty faithful to the original look except with Daphne where I swapped the colors of her stockings and dress trim because I thought it looked better that way.

The Mystery Machine that the kids drive around in is a van of indeterminate type.


Matchbox has a 1/74 4X4 Chevy Van that is decked out as the Mystery Machine. The model is based on their '75 Chevy Van, which I wrote about in a previous post.


The first thing I wanted to do was to replace the oversized wheels and undercarriage with the ones from a regular van.

I took apart both vans using the standard technique of diecast car customizers.


These vans only have a single post in front, and are held by a pair of hooks in the back. The normal van comes with a nice interior, whereas the 4X4 only has the undercarriage.


I think the hooks are slightly different for the two models because I couldn't get the normal van body to fit on the 4X4 undercarriage.


I'm still trying to find a spare tire to mount on the front of the model.




2 comments:

Darathar said...

I think this is the first time I've seen you paint. Very crisp indeed. Great write up. It's funny I first found Elhiem miniatures because of this set but I've never bought it always get distracted by Matt's other sci-fi and PA minis.

EY said...

Thanks for the comments Darathar.
Many of my posts do tend to be of bare or primed minis. I'm a slow painter, and photographing painted minis tends to make me want to go back and fix things because I end up seeing all the places where some tiny bit of paint went over a line or something.