Thursday, September 17, 2020

New Elhiem Fantasy Figures

Concept art by Greg Taylor

I just received an order from Elhiem that included the figures from their new fantasy line.

Matt has been transitioning from creating weapons and head sculpts using 3D renders to sculpting entire figures digitally, and I have to say he has succeeded spectacularly.

These figures were completely mastered from 3D prints produced by digital sculpts, but they don't have the sterile, artificial appearance of typical CAD drawings, and don't look appreciably different from hand sculpted miniatures.

The first set is the Adventure Party (FAN01), consisting of cleric, halfling rogue, wizard, barbarian, elf ranger, and fighter.


The figures are all tall (heroic 1/72?), but still well within the height range of normal humans. The halfling seems particularly tall to me, but perhaps not so much for someone who prefers the interpretation from the Lord of the Rings movies.

The next image shows the Evil Trinity (FAN03) made up of a lich, wizard, and undead knight.


The wizard and lich are the most impressive in my opinion, because they really don't look like digital sculpts at all. I think the only thing that gives the lich away are what appear to be very faint layer lines on his cloak.

Again, the figures are all tall, with the lich being on the high end of the spectrum.

The final image is of the Female Fighter and Elf Sorceress (FAN04), and the Alternative Barbarian (FAN02) next to the regular barbarian from the Adventure Party set.


The Female Fighter is extremely tall – about as tall as the Alternative Barbarian who scales out to 6' 9" (206cm) by my estimation. The female elf is tall as well, but I'm okay with that.

The Alternative Barbarian is a larger, slightly different version of the regular barbarian. I'm pretty sure the base model was just scaled up slightly to make the alternative sculpt, but unlike the North Star 3D prints that I criticized for using proportional scaling to adjust height, the Elhiem model looks fine to my eye.

Overall, I am very happy with these figures. Some of the sculpts seem a bit tall, and I would personally have liked to see the wizards and human females be a little shorter, but that is just my preference. Also, the figures may appear a bit static for some people, but I like these types of poses for gaming use.

Anyway, I hope to see more figures released for this line, and now that I have a good idea of what to expect, I plan on voting for production of Dark Elves (and maybe the regular Elves as well).


8 comments:

JF_guenzl said...

I love them! Also I agree with you on some of them being a little bit too tall. I hope the following sets will be a little bit shorter

My favorite sculpts are: wizard, lich, barbarian and female fighter :)

I'm very excited on the next fantasy sets from Elhiem!

Sceavus said...

EY you got these figures very fast!!
Thank you for the review, as usual this helps so much

JF_guenzl said...

I'm very excited on the first photos that show those minis painted

EY said...

@JF
Thanks for letting me know about these in the first place. My painting pace is really slow, so someone else will probably get pictures of painted figures up before I do.

@Sceavus
Glad the post was helpful. I really hope that Elhiem is successful with this new line of figures.

Daisy Gowan Ditchburn said...

Awesome little figures. Nice to get more fantasy figures in 1/72. Caesar made their adventurers set but that seems rather hard to get these days.

Don't think I will be getting these though, after all why would I need anyone other than Ninja Babushka?

Unknown said...

Lol googled ninja babushka! Great job and finally found another place to post 20mm sci-fi

Anonymous said...

I just saw that Elhiem has another fantasy figure. Just scroll down: https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_1678863-FANTASY-20mm-RPG.html (Golem)

EY said...

@Gowan,
Ninja Babushka is cool. Reminds me of Sofia Golden Hand from Golden Kamuy.

@Anon
The golem is a surprise. I don't remember seeing it on any of the fantasy proposals.